I investigate how social categorization (e.g., gender, race, physical attractiveness, or salient social roles—such as parenting) drives assumptions about competence and warmth. My latest research topics include studying the negative effects of positive stereotyping, the reduction of unintended race bias, and understanding how working moms and caregiving dads are evaluated, punished, and lauded in society.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Close Relationships
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Fuegen, K., Biernat, M., Haines, E. L., & Deaux, K. (2004). Parents in the workplace: How gender and parental status influence judgments of job-related competence. Journal of Social Issues, 60(4), 737-754.
- Haines, E. L., & Jost, J. T. (2000). Placating the powerless: Effects of legitimate and illegitimate explanation on affect, memory, and stereotyping. Social Justice Research, 13, 219-236.
- Haines, E. L., & Kray, L. (2005). Self-power associations: The possession of power impacts women’s self-concepts. European Journal of Social Psychology, 35, 643-662.
- Haines, E. L., & Sumner, K. (2006). Implicit measurement of attitudes, stereotypes, and self-concepts in organizations: Teaching old dogmas new tricks. Organizational Research Methods, 9, 536-553.
- Stroessner, S., Haines, E. L., Sherman, J., & Kantrowitz. C. (2010). Stereotype relevance moderates category activation: Evidence from the Indirect Category Accessibility Task (ICAT). Social Personality Psychology Science.
- Kite, M., Deaux, K., & Haines, E. L. (2008). Gender stereotypes. F. L. Denmark and M. Paludi (Eds.), Psychology of Women: A Handbook of Issues and Theories, 205-236. Praeger: Westport, CT.
- Applied Statistics
- Experimental Psychology
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Honors General Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Psychology of Women
- Social Psychology
- Social Research Methods
Elizabeth L. Haines
Department of Psychology
Science Hall, Room 2038
300 Pompton Road
Wayne, New Jersey 07470
- Phone: (973) 720-2500
- Fax: (973) 720-3392